A creative and easy Cinco de Mayo recipe for Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas with Philadelphia Cream Cheese and Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce.
Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.
It’s taken me way too long to finally make enchiladas. Seriously, first time ever making enchiladas.
Definitely not the first time eating them though. Asheley and I love us some enchiladas, especially when they are smothered in sour cream sauce. And since I wanted to remember my first time and make it extra special, these bad boys are stuffed with my slow cooker shredded buffalo chicken and jalapeno soft cream cheese spread.
You’ve probably seen the slow cooker buffalo chicken hanging around these parts before. Like in these sliders with avocado ranch dressing. Or maybe these quesadillas or bacon-wrapped jalpeno poppers. Or maybe, just maybe, it was this skinny buffalo chicken pizza with that crazy rad spaghetti squash pizza crust.
That’s right, I said rad.
P.S. does anyone remember that movie Rad about BMX racing? Loved watching that movie with my brother back in the 90s… rockin’ the VHS. Sweet times.
Yea, that buffalo chicken. We kinda sorta like it here at our house.
And good news. You’ll have some leftover buffalo chicken to play around with. Go crazy 😉
Back to the enchilada talk.
Filling tortillas with a mixture of buffalo chicken and philly cream cheese is an excellent, excellent idea. Like, it’s amazing. And then smothering those rolled up bundles of joy with a thick, luscious sour cream and green chile sauce AND piling on a generous helping of shredded monterey jack cheese. Sure, you may have a heart attack, but it’s a night in the ER well worth it.
And one other note. Asheley’s a sucker for enchiladas… except that she is totally not a fan of corn tortillas. I used flour tortillas here to make my amazing, loving, super-talented wife (see what I did there) happy, but feel free to use corn if you roll that way.
Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas with Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce and Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 enchiladas
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, finely chopped
- 2 cups Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken
- 1 (8 ounce) tub Philadelphia Jalapeno Cream Cheese (or regular cream cheese)
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 6 to 8 flour tortillas
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium/medium-low heat. Stir in and fully incorporate flour and cook until light brown, about 1-2 minutes. Gradually whisk in chicken broth, stirring to smooth out all lumps. Cook until slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in sour cream and green chiles, and remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken and cream cheese.
- Microwave tortillas for about 20-30 seconds in microwave until they are warm and pliable. Working one at a time, lay tortilla flat, fill with about 1/3 cup buffalo chicken mixture, and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Top with sour cream sauce and sprinkle with monterey jack cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, until the top is lightly golden and bubbly. While enchiladas are baking, combine avocado, tomato, corn, lime juice, and cilantro in a small mixing bowl.
- Remove enchiladas from oven, let cool for a few minutes, and top with garnish and extra chopped cilantro, if desired. Serve immediately.
I found this new jalapeno Philly cream cheese spread at Walmart. There’s a bunch of different, cool-looking flavors to check out to help #SpreadTheFlavor. #CollectiveBias
P.S. You see that blueberry flavored cream cheese on the left? My man David over at Spiced Blog made these killer No Bake Blueberry Cheesecake Bites. Check it out. They look freaking delicious.