About two weekends ago, Asheley, myself, and a couple other friends went to check out Chef Jonathan Waxman’s restaurant, Barbuto. One dish that we ended up really loving (besides his famous Roasted Chicken) was the Gnocchi with Summer Corn and Cherry Tomatoes. It was simple, delicious, and really let the seasonal produce shine: just-picked sweet summer corn, cherry tomatoes bursting with flavor, all in a luscious velvety light butter sauce.
Fast forward to last week, and I was totally inspired by that gnocchi dish as I carefully picked all the vine-ripened red and sungold cherry tomatoes growing along side the tall basil in my backyard garden. I came inside, realized I had just bought 3 ears of corn at the market, and went to work on creating a version of Chef Waxman’s beautiful dish.
I only had farfalle (bow-tie pasta) in the cupboard, so that’s what I used here. Feel free to use any pasta, or gnocchi if you are feeling adventurous!
This pasta dish is the perfect weeknight summer dinner: very little prep work, only about 15 minutes of cooking time, and bursting with fresh summer flavor! Better yet, it is ridiculously easy. Anyone can make it… anyone! Just make sure to get the freshest and best quality corn and cherry tomatoes you can!
Farfalle with Summer Corn and Cherry Tomatoes
This simple summer pasta dish is quick, easy, cheap, and super delicious. It’s perfect for busy weeknight dinners when you want to get the most out of your summer produce!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 Box Farfalle (Bow Tie) Pasta
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 ears of corn, remove from cob
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Heat the canola oil and butter over medium/medium-low heat in a large saute pan. Once hot (you will hear the butter just starting to sizzle), add the garlic and cook for approximately 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly until it just starts to turn a bit on the golden side (make sure to watch it so it doesn’t burn).
- Add the corn kernels from 3 ears of corn, stir to combine with garlic, season to taste with a pinch of Kosher salt, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the halved cherry tomatoes, stir to combine, and cook about 4 minutes or until the tomatoes just start to slightly wrinkle.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of generously salted water to a boil for the pasta. Cook the farfalle 1-2 minutes less than the package directions, leaving the pasta a little more al dente than you normally would. Drain pasta, reserving about 1/2 cup of the water you cooked the pasta in.
- Add pasta, pasta water, torn basil, and freshly ground black pepper (to taste) to the saute pan containing the corn-tomato mixture, and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serving Size: 4