A vegan, paleo, and dairy-free recipe for 2 ingredient Acai Banana Ice Cream! Quick, easy, and best part… it’s healthy!
Remember how I told you about A.B. Biagi gelato in NYC?
And remember how I said he had two really amazing vegan options at his SoHo shop?
Please say yes, even if you need to lie a bit. Thanks 🙂
One of those vegan ice cream options was this super creamy, smooth, and intensely flavored Acai Banana.
And when I figured out that you can make ice cream just by processing the bejeebus out of frozen bananas in the food processor and whipped up this Paleo-friendly Nutella Banana Ice Cream, I knew acai-banana also needed to happen.
Besides being vegan, it’s also a paleo-friendly and dairy-free ice cream option. Woot. Woot.
And now listen. I’m not even going to try to make the argument that this vegan acai banana ice cream is anything remotely close to the genius that is Antonio Biagi’s version. It’s not.
Don’t get me wrong, this is good.
But Antonio is a sweet-genius-master-gelato-maker. He’s the man.
But for an at home, quick and healthy 2 ingredient ice cream, this will definitely hit the spot.
Just two quick tips for you…
1) Be patient with blending these bananas in the food processor. When you first start the frozen bananas in your processor, you’ll think that I’m crazy and this recipe stinks. But keep going. Be patient. Keep scraping down the sides. It takes a little while, but it will eventually transform into super creamy and smooth “ice cream”.
2) I find my frozen acai puree at Whole Foods. It comes in a four pack in the frozen foods aisle and looks like this. They have it here on Amazon (Sambazon Acai Smoothie Packs), but that’s like a crazy big 28 count of acai puree packs.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 (100 gram packet) acai berry puree
- Make sure your bananas are very ripe. Peel and cut into small slices. Freeze for 1 to 2 hours, until completely frozen through. Transfer to a food processor along with the acai puree.
- Blend in food processor on high, scraping down the sides occasionally, until it reaches the consistency of smooth soft serve ice cream. Be patient, it will get there! Serve immediately or freeze for future consumption.