This recipe for Pasta with Sausage, Roasted Butternut Squash, and Kale is sponsored by Johnsonville® and Social Stars. As always, all opinions and recipes are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite! #SausageFamily
Looking for a super simple weeknight dinner recipe this fall? This Pasta with Sausage, Roasted Butternut Squash, and Kale is packed with flavor!
I’ll be the first to admit it. I’m a big baby when I’m sick. The world stops. Woe is me. And up until this very moment, I had the full capability to feel sorry for myself and worry only about me whenever I started feeling a cold coming on. You know who doesn’t care that I’m sick? Olivia. She’s literally a baby (not just a figurative one like daddy) and the girl needs to be taken care of. I’m quickly realizing there’s no calling in sick as a parent.
So yea, making dinner is the last thing on my mind. I need something that’s super easy to make and can be successfully reheated for a few days while I’m on the mend. Boom. Pasta with Sausage, Roasted Butternut Squash, and Kale. Sage and lots of parmesan (of course), too.
Holy cow this fall pasta dish is freaking amazing. I’m officially obsessed with roasted squash. It’s SO easy and SO good. And although I’m bummed summer is totally gone (it suddently got crazy cold this week here in NY), I’m pumped for squash season.
It’s like the Bubba Gump of squash around here… Butternut Squash Manicotti with Parmesan Cream Sauce, Acorn Squash Crostini with Bacon, Ricotta, and Sage, Roasted Acorn Squash with Ricotta and Honey, and way too many spaghetti squash recipes.
And now, I get to add this stunning fall pasta dish into the lineup. Hello beautiful… get in my belly!
Let’s talk Johnsonville® Sausage. Having this in the fridge was a lifesaver. It really makes for quick, easy meals, and you can totally swap sausage into recipes that normally call for other proteins. It’s versatile, full of flavor… everything can be done with sausage! And I have to admit… I don’t use sausage enough. After chowing down on this for dinner, I can’t get enough of the squash-sausage flavor combo. Okay, and the mountain of parmesan cheese.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and ½" diced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 (19 ounce) package Johnsonville Italian Sausage, casings removed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 bunches kale, stems discarded and leaves torn
- 1 box (1 lb) rigatoni
- 1 cup finely shredded Parmigiano Reggiano*
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sage, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spread diced butternut squash in an even single layer on a baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil, season generously with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and toss to coat. Roast in oven until fork tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile,heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, using a wooden spoon to break up sausage into bite-sized pieces, until meat is fully browned, abut 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the rigatoni according to package directions for "al dente" pasta and drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In the emptied pot in which you cooked the pasta, add the remaining 1 tbl. of olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Add kale (in batches if necessary since it'll wilt down as it heats) and cook, stirring occasionally, until all kale is soft and wilted, about 5-7 minutes. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add roasted butternut squash and cooked sausage.. Cook, stirring constantly and being carefuly not to mush the squash, for 1 minute. Add pasta, reserved pasta water, and Parmigiano Reggiano. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook briefly until flavors are combined, about 1 minute. Serve with extra Parmigiano Reggiano, if desired (it will be). Garnish with fresh sage. Devour.