A better-for-you version that’s also gluten-free! These Skinny Jalapeno Kale Cornbread Muffins are packed with flavor and make for a perfect side dish!
I currently have two choices. Go outside and begin shoveling, or sit here and share this skinny cornbread recipe with you. Decisions, decisions…
Eh, screw the snow. It’s actually still coming down, and this guy doesn’t have school today, so I have nothing but time to get the driveway cleared 🙂 But this cornbread… you guys need to know about this cornbread.
I’m kinda sorta (I am) obsessed with the stuff. Anytime it’s on a menu at a restaurant, it’s automatically ordered. It’s the perfect side for some good ole’ barbecue and my current winter obsession: chili! Specifically, my Fire Roasted Chili with Beer Braised Short Ribs. I normally whip up some of my Honey Jalapeno Cornbread to go with it, but I’m currently trying to chisel out some sort of defined body shape (and I’ve been told round is not a defined body shape).
But these puppies. These Skinny Jalapeno Kale Cornbread Muffins. They are low fat. Low sugar. Gluten-free. Packed with kale. Are kept moist with a secret ingredient. Oh, and they taste pretty darn great.
Want to know what the secret ingredient is? Of course you do. It’s something I’ve never ever tried before. Something I always thought was icky.
Yup. And you don’t even taste it in the muffins. It just helps keep the cornbread nice and moist.
And apparently kale is some sort of superfood. So I figured, let’s sneak some of that super-ness into some cornbread. That way maybe Asheley will let me eat two of them 😉
Let’s talk MELT® Organic. I have to be honest. This is the first time I’ve tried the stuff. And… it’s really good!
It’s everything you would expect to find in butter… rich, creamy, luscious. BUT… it’s made with a blend of good fats, like virgin coconut and flax seed oils. And get this. MELT® Organic spreads are dairy free, soy free, trans-fat free, and gluten free. Even better? They are certified organic and Non GMO. That’s huge.
Wherever you can use butter, you can use MELT. It bakes, sizzles, drizzles, and melts just like butter, but with half the saturated fat and fewer calories.
I used the Rich & Creamy (original) flavor for these skinny jalapeno kale cornbread muffins, but make sure to check out their Honey and Chocolate flavors as well! Here’s a handy dandy store locator so you can find yourself some MELT. Do it.
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs, whisked
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (small curd)
- 2 tablespoons MELT Organic spread (or butter), melted
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 2 jalapenos, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen kale, thawed
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease muffin tin with nonstick spray (or use cupcake liners).
- Mix cornmeal, gluten free flour, baking powder, and Kosher salt in a small bowl. In a medium mixing bowl, combine honey, eggs, skim milk, cottage cheese, and MELT Organic spread. Fully combine dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, and then stir in corn, jalapeno, and kale. Batter will be pretty wet.
- Using a spoon, fill muffin tin ⅔ full with cornbread batter. Bake for approximately 20 minutes, until a toothpick pushed into the center comes out clean. Remove muffins to a cooling rack and let cool slightly before devouring. Serve warm. You can freeze leftover cornbread muffins and reheat wrapped in aluminum foil in oven.
What to serve with this cornbread? Boom.
MELT® Organic is a line of luscious, organic spreads made from healthy oils for butter lovers seeking a much healthier alternative, available in Rich & Creamy (original), Honey, and NEW Chocolate.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of MELT Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.