I’m creating a recipe using Wild Selections® as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars. All content and opinions, as well as the recipe herein, are my own. #wildcanfan
It’s time that the classic tuna fish sandwich got an upgrade… Southwest Tuna Melt with Roasted Corn Poblano Salsa, Bacon, and Avocado!
The only exposure I had to seafood growing up were tuna fish sandwiches. My dad
was is the pickiest of eaters. He didn’t even eat pizza before meeting my mom (being the amazing mother she is, she correctly refused to be in a relationship with anyone that didn’t at least eat pizza). Fish? No freaking way did he go near the stuff. So my mom never cooked it… but she did get her fix on weekends by whipping up canned tuna fish sandwiches for herself, my brother, and I.
And now, I wanted to combine that classic sandwich of my childhood with the bold southwest flavors I’m obsessed with. Because really, southwest flavors give anything an instant upgrade. Boom… Southwest Tuna Melt with Roasted Corn Poblano Salsa, Bacon, and Avocado.
Oh yea, and I served it up on cornbread. That’s just how I roll. You can, of course, feel free to use any of the usual tuna melt bread suspects when constructing your sandwich masterpiece. Bagels are always a great choice in my mind… they are sturdy and freaking delicious. Especially NY bagels 🙂
I chose to go all fancy with these and serve them open-faced. I even broke out a fork and knife… but in all honesty that’s just because Asheley was home and she would have probably yelled at me for shoveling this in my face with my bare hands.
My sandwich isn’t the only thing that got a serious upgrade with this Southwest Tuna Melt…
I’m super pumped about this Wild Selections® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water. It’s the first complete line of canned seafood that’s certified sustainable and Non-GMO Project verified. And extra bonus? 13¢ from the sale of each can of Wild Selections® supports World Wildlife Fund conservation efforts. This is wild caught canned tuna that I can feel good about serving my family.
- 2 (5-ounce) cans WIld Selections® Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water, drained
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons canned green chiles, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cornbread, or other bread/bagels
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1 avocado, diced
- Roasted Corn Poblano Salsa (recipe below)
- 1½ cups shredded pepperjack cheese
- ¾ cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large poblano chile (or 2 small), roasted and chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ tomato, chopped
- ½ lime, juiced
- Kosher salt
- Toast cornbread (slice in half lengthwise first, if thick), bread, or bagel.
- In a small mixing bowl, mash tuna slightly with a fork. Stir in mayonnaise, canned green chiles, and a squeeze of lime juice. Season generously with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Top slices of cornbread, bread, or bagel with tuna salad, chopped bacon, avocado, and roasted corn poblano salsa. Sprinkle generously with pepperjack cheese.
- Place on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet and broil until cheese is bubbly and fully melted. Devour immediately.
- Combine corn, roasted poblano, red onion, tomato, and lime juice in a small mixing bowl. Season with Kosher salt. Leftover salsa can be refrigerated and enjoyed with tortilla chips for a killer snack.