Using a super secret ingredient, this Vegan and Dairy Free Chocolate Salted Caramel Pudding is a ridiculously creamy, rich, and luxurious dessert!
I’m not normally one for vegan anything. Dairy free either for that matter. Especially when it comes to dessert. Making anything vegan or dairy-free at home is usually a happy accident… not an intended outcome.
BUT. My good buddy Tyler. The poor guy can’t have dairy. I know.
Come dessert time, I always see him having to pass it up because almost everything has dairy in it. Except oreos. The dude goes to town on oreos.
Last spring, I tried my hand at whipping up a Vegan + Dairy Free Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse. He was instantly obsessed. As was my dairy tolerant friends. It was SO freaking good, and you would never ever ever ever ever guess that it didn’t have dairy in it. Like, ever.
And now, I got the Tyler seal-of-approval on my latest creative dairy free dessert. Vegan and Dairy Free Chocolate Salted Caramel Pudding.
How do you achieve super creamy, rich, and luxurious pudding without any dairy, you ask? A secret ingredient, of course.
And listen, before all you meat eaters and dairy lovers out there totally have a freak out with what I’m about to tell you.. relax. You don’t taste the secret ingredient. At all. You wouldn’t even know it was in it if I didn’t tell you. And honestly, you totally would even know this was vegan or dairy free either. Yea, it’s that sneaky of a dessert. And it’s that good.
Yup. Silken tofu. It’s a magical ingredient, and now my fridge is always stocked with it. Not because I’m starting to eat vegan or anything (oh heck no), but because silken tofu helps you create some of the best pudding and mousse with just 5 minutes of prep.
- 1 (12 ounce) package organic silken tofu, drained
- 4¼ ounces good quality dark chocolate, finely chopped*
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 6 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan caramel sauce**
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Combine dark chocolate, cocoa powder, almond milk, and coconut sugar in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals on half power, stirring between each, until chocolate is just melted through (don't overheat!).
- Meanwhile, place silken tofu in a food processor and blend until very smooth. Add in melted chocolate mixture, vegan caramel sauce, pinch of salt, and blend until just combined. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- Pour mixture into a bowl and place in refrigerator for at least an hour to allow pudding to firm up a bit. When ready to serve, divide among four bowls and drizzle with more caramel sauce.
- Combine coconut sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved and mixture bubbles for 2 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, stir to fully combine, turn down heat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and salt. Allow to cool
**There are several good quality vegan caramel sauces out there that you can buy. If you can't find any or want to make your own, then feel free to use this recipe.