This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Quaker. All opinions, as well as the recipe herein, are mine alone. #MyOatsCreation #CollectiveBias
Some people absolutely love breakfast. Some even love to have breakfast for dinner. I’m not one of those people. I’ve always viewed breakfast as an unfortunate stepping stone in order to get to lunch and dinner.
And I know. Many of you are shaking your head right now in disgust and disbelief. You’re wondering how I have led such a sad existence for the past 30 years without the joys of breakfast in my life. Don’t you know breakfast is the most important meal of the day?!
Yea, I know.
One of my big goals for 2015 is to eat better, and that starts with breakfast. I’m 30 now, and I know that I can’t eat like I used to if I want to keep this Abercrombie model physique I have going on right now (that’s sarcasm, people).
The problem is, I just don’t want to waste time in the morning with cooking breakfast. Answer? Whipping up a batch of these Easy Overnight Vegan Cinnamon Apple Steel Cut Oats with Chia Seeds and Flax Seeds.
And hey… this has the nutritional boost of chia seeds and flaxseeds. I don’t know exactly what those little buggers do, but I know it’s doing some good stuff.
This will make a big ole’ batch of oats. You can store leftovers in the fridge for up to a week and just reheat however much you want each morning. The longer the oats sit, the creamier they will become. If they become to dry, you can always add a bit more almond milk or water during the reheating process.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed*
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 large honeycrisp apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine steel cut oats, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, almond milk, water, and a big pinch of salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and let cook for 1 minutes. Remove from heat and go to bed. Allow to sit overnight (8 to 12 hours).
- In the morning, stir in brown rice syrup, apple, and cinnamon. Reheat over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If sweeter taste is desired, add a little more brown rice syrup.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It will thicken as it sits in the fridge, so feel free to add a little bit of liquid when reheating if desired.
You can also buy whole flaxseed and then use a spice grinder to make it into a powder.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins