- 1 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon red food coloring (depending upon strength of coloring)
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease donut hole pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well incorporated.
- In your stand mixer or a large bowl with hand mixer (or go all old fashioned and just use a whisk), combine buttermilk, egg, yogurt, and vinegar on low speed. Add in butter (make sure it is cooled).
- Once thoroughly combined, slowly incorporate dry mixture and mix until just combined. Don’t overmix. Stir in enough red food coloring until desired color is reached.
- Spoon batter into a large ziploc bag and use a scissor to cut about a 1/2″ piece off one corner to create a makeshift disposable pastry bag. Fill each well in the donut hole pan approximately 3/4 full. Alternatively, use a spoon to fill donut pan and smooth out batter.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 9-12 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, drizzle with cream cheese glaze and devour.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Mix all ingredients together until well combined and smooth. Let rest for about 10 minutes to allow flavors to meld. If mixture is too loose, add a bit more powdered sugar. If too stiff, add a little more cream.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins