- 1 cup whole milk
- 2–3 cups water
- 1 cup cornmeal (medium grind)*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- *my personal preference is 1/2 cup finely ground and 1/2 cup medium ground corn meal
- Bring the milk, 2 cups of the water, and a very large pinch of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat to a low simmer and add cornmeal in a slow and steady stream, constantly whisking to prevent lumps.
- Polenta should be at a bare simmer, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture gets too thick (mine did), add water, 1/2 cup at a time. I ended up doing this twice.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and olive oil, and then stir in cheddar cheese. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve immediately.