This is a very easy to make fresh tomato sauce from scratch.
A few pounds of Roma Tomatoes
1. Start by washing your Roma tomatoes under cold running water to remove any dirt or debris.
2. Cut off the stem end of each tomato, and then cut a shallow “X” in the opposite end.
3. Prepare a large pot of boiling water and have a large bowl of ice water ready.
4. Carefully lower the tomatoes into the boiling water and blanch for 30-60 seconds, until the skins begin to peel back from the X mark.
5. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tomatoes from the boiling water and immediately place them in the ice water to cool down and stop the cooking process.
6. Once the tomatoes have cooled down, use your fingers or a paring knife to peel off the skins.
7. Cut the tomatoes in half and scoop out the seeds and watery pulp with a spoon.
8. Chop the tomato flesh into small pieces or puree them in a blender or food processor, depending on the texture you prefer.
9. Use the processed Roma tomatoes to make your sauce, either by cooking them down with other ingredients or storing them in the fridge or freezer for later use
Processing Roma tomatoes for sauce can be a little time-consuming, but it’s well worth the effort to get that delicious, homemade tomato sauce flavor!
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Processing, Roma, tomatoes, Sauce