- 5 large leaves kale, cut into a fine chiffonade*
- 6 crimini or button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- Pinch of Kosher salt
- 1 – 2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 large handfuls baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 small shallots or 1 large, or 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Handful of coarsely chopped slivered almonds
- 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast powder (or 2 tablespoons if using nutritional yeast flakes)
- *To cut the kale into a fine chiffonade, simply stack the kale leaves on top of one another, roll them up like a cigar, and then cut into thin strips, creating fine ribbons of kale.
- Place the thinly sliced shallots/onion in a bowl of ice water for at least 10 minutes, then drain. This will remove the pungency and raw “bite”.
- In a large salad bowl, place the kale, mushrooms, avocado, salt, and the juice of 1 lemon. Rub and squeeze the mixture with your hands until the kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, spinach, carrot, tomatoes, and shallots/onion and mix gently with your hands just to combine. Add the slivered almonds and nutritional yeast, and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more Kosher salt and the juice of the second lemon if you think it needs it. I typically add the juice from 1/2 of the second lemon. It gives it that extra kick of brightness that I personally love.
- What to do with the leftover lemon?! Check out this cool trick.
- Eat immediately.