- 6 ears corn, husks and silk removed
- Canola oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup finely grated cotija cheese
- 2 eggs, slighten beaten
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Chili-Lime Crema (recipe below)
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Cotija cheese, grated, for garnish
for the Chili-Lime Crema
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 – 1 tablespoon sambal chili sauce
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Pinch Kosher salt
- Pinch sugar
- Pinch garlic powder
- Preheat your grill to high. Very lightly brush corn with canola oil and sprinkle with Kosher salt. When grill is hot, place corn directly on grill and cook, rotating occasionally, until cooked through and charred in spots, about 10-12 minutes (or longer depending upon how hot your grill is). Remove corn from grill and let cool. Cut kernels off cob and reserve. Discard cobs.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Once fully melted, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute (just long enough for the raw flour taste to cook off).
- While stirring constantly, slowly add in milk to incorporate. Continue to stir until no lumps remain. Raise heat to medium and cook until mixture thickens and easily coats the back of a spoon, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in corn kernels, 1/3 cup cotija cheese, and the slightly beaten egg. The residual heat will gently cook the egg. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Let cool completely, then place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove corn mixture from fridge. Pour panko into a small bowl and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Shape corn mixture into heaping tablespoon sized balls and coat completely in the panko breadcrumbs. Place on a wax-paper lined baking tray.
- Freeze croquettes for about 1 hour to allow them to solidify before frying.
- Heat enough canola oil in a small saucepan or frypan over medium heat (or use a deep fryer) to completely cover the croquettes. Once hot (you’ll know it’s hot enough when the panko starts sizzling once it hits the oil), gently lower croquettes, a couple at a time, into the oil and fry until golden brown and crispy on all sides, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Carefully and gently remove croquettes with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to briefly drain and cool, sprinkle with Kosher salt, and serve immediately with Chili-Lime Crema and garnished with cilantro and cotija cheese.
for the Chili-Lime Crema
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, 1/2 tablespoon sambal chili sauce, lime juice, salt, sugar, and garlic powder. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, adding in more sambal chili sauce if you want it spicier.
Just a little warning. These croquettes are mighty fragile. It’s really important to freeze them right before frying so that way they don’t completely fall apart while cooking. And when ready to fry in batches, take out just what you are ready to cook and gently lower the fritters in the oil and don’t try wiggling them around… they don’t like that and will crumble. After turning golden brown and crispy, quickly and carefully transfer to a paper-towel lined plate and as they cool, the fritters will set up nicely for you. And then you can devour like crazy 😉
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 mins