For the Pie Crust
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” dice
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water
For the Peach Bourbon Filling
- 3–4 ripe peaches
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon bourbon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 1 egg
For the Pie Crust
- Freeze the diced butter for about 10 minutes in order to get it well chilled. In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add well-chilled butter, pulsing until it’s well incorporated and resembles the texture of very coarse cornmeal. Add 1/4 cup of the ice water and pulse, adding more water if dry, until dough comes together in clumps (My dough required a little more than 1/4 cup). Form dough into a square, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill until firm, at least 2 hours. Crust can be made and stored in the refrigerator up to 3 days ahead of time.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375°F.
- Peel peaches if you want (I didn’t and honestly couldn’t even tell the difference). Remove pits and chop peaches into a small dice (about 1/2″ pieces). In a bowl, combine peaches with flour, sugar, bourbon, vanilla extract, and a pinch of Kosher salt.
- Roll out dough on a well-floured surface to about a 15″x12″ rectangle. Cut into 6 equal rectangles (a pizza cutter makes this easy). On one half of each rectangle, mound a bit of the peach mixture. Brush perimeter edges of each rectangle with water and fold dough over, pressing edges to seal. You can create a decorative seal by pressing the back of fork around the edges of each hand pie.
- Place hand pies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Whisk together the egg with a splash of water to create an egg wash. Brush the top of each hand pie with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Cut a few slits in the top of each hand pie to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Bake hand pies, rotating the baking sheet halfway through, until juices are bubbling and pastry is golden brown, 35–40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Serve warm, and a scoop of vanilla ice cream alongside never hurts 🙂
- Leftovers? Let hand pies cool completely and refrigerate. Reheat in a 375°F oven until warmed through.