- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1” piece peeled fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- Kosher salt
- 2 packages instant ramen, flavor packets discarded
- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 soft-boiled eggs, sliced in half*
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Heat butter in a small stockpot over medium heat. Add onion, season with Kosher salt, and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in flour, then whisk in vegetable stock and whole milk until well-combined and no flour clumps remain. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses until fully melted. Season with Kosher salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook ramen noodles according to package directions, being careful not to overcook.
- Divide broth and noodles between two bowls. Top each bowl with chopped bacon, soft-boiled eggs, and scallions. Devour immediately.
*for easy soft-boiled eggs, bring a pot of water to a boil. Lower heat to a rapid simmer, and carefully lower eggs in water. Cook for 7 minutes exactly, then place eggs immediately in an ice bath to stop cooking for 5 minutes. Carefully peel and slice in half.