For the Steak
- 2 and 1/2 pounds sirloin steak
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 bosc pears
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 – 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil (optional)*
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 bunches of scallions, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- *I say optional because I’ve made it without when I ran out and didn’t realize, and it still tasted great. If you don’t have sesame oil, don’t sweat it.
For the Lettuce Wraps
- 2 heads Boston Lettuce, leaves washed and dried
- Pickled Carrots (recipe below)
- 6 – 8 radishes, cut into matchsticks
- Kimchi (optional, but recommended. Available at Asian markets)
- Quick Pickled Cucumbers (optional)
For Pickled Carrots
- 1 (10 ounce) bag shredded/match-stick carrots
- 1 and 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Kosher salt
- 2 bay leaves
- Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Place steak in freezer for about 10-15 minutes, which will firm it up a bit, allowing you to cut thin slices. Trim excess fat from steak and thinly slice.
- Using the finest side of a grater, grate the onion and pears. Combine grated onion and pear with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, brown sugar, mirin, and sesame oil (optional) in a medium mixing bowl. Add thinly sliced steak, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator, allowing to marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Remove steak from refrigerator approximately 20-30 minutes before ready to cook. Heat canola oil in wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add steak and scallions and cook, stirring occasionally, until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes. Plate and sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Serve with boston lettuce, pickled carrots, radish, kimchi, and quick pickled cucumbers (optional).
- To make quick pickled cucumbers, simply combine a thinly sliced cucumber with 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of Kosher salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
For Pickled Carrots
- Bring a medium-sized pot of lightly-salted water to a boil. Once water is boiling, add carrots and cook for 1 minute. Immediately pour into a colander and rinse cold water over the carrots until they are no longer hot. Drain thoroughly, then place in a large mason jar or other non-reactive bowl with lid.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the water, vinegar, garlic, salt, sugar, bay leaves, and a pinch of red pepper flakes (if using). Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, then reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and pour over the carrots. Cool until room temperature, then cover with lid and chill in refrigerator. It will last for a few weeks.