Candied Bacon Brownie Sundaes with Whiskey Caramel Sauce
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Yield: 8-12 servings
- Favorite brownie mix, prepared according to package directions
- 4 strips thick cut bacon
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons whiskey
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place metal wire cooling rack on top of a baking tray. Place bacon on cooling rack and spread 3 tablespoons of the brown sugar over the top. Cook in oven for 15-20 minutes, until bacon is almost cooked through (you don’t want it to be completely cooked through because it’s going to cook more in oven on the brownies). Chop candied bacon into small bite-sized pieces.
- Pour prepared brownie batter in baking dish and top with chopped up candied bacon. Bake according to package directions. Let cool and slice into squares.
- While the brownies bake, make the whiskey caramel sauce. Place butter, remaining 1 cup of brown sugar, heavy cream, and a pinch of Kosher salt in a small/medium saucepan. Heat ingredients over medium heat, , stirring frequently, until butter is melted. Turn heat up to medium-high and bring the caramel to a boil. Lower heat to maintain a gentle boil and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in whiskey. Mixture will bubble violently, so stir constantly. Let cool completely and then whiskey caramel sauce can be refrigerated for up to one week. Warm caramel sauce slightly before serving.
- To make sundaes, place a scoop of ice cream on top of brownie and top with a generous drizzle of whiskey caramel sauce. Devour.