Looking for an epic creative summer side dish? Boom. This is it… Corn, Blueberry, and Halloumi Grain Salad with Walnut and Basil will be the hit of any party!
- 1 cup uncooked Israeli/Pearl Whole Wheat Couscous, Barley, Wheat Berries, or other like grain
- 4 ears corn, husked
- 8 ounces Halloumi cheese, sliced 3/4″ thick
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 ounces (1/2 pint) blueberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, cut in chiffonade style (thin ribbons)
- Cook your desired grain in salted water according to package directions. Drain and let cool.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook corn for about 5-7 minutes. Remove corn from pot and set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan on medium-high heat. Rub corn with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred all over, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of Halloumi cheese with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and grill, turning once, until grill marks appear, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer to plate and let cool.
- Cut corn kernels from the cob and place in a large bowl with the cooked grains. Dice Halloumi cheese and add to bowl, as well as blueberries, walnuts, and scallions.
- Just before serving, whisk together lemon juice, champagne vinegar, and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil in a small bowl. Drizzle into salad and toss to coat. Top with chiffonade of basil and devour.
*feel free to use your favorite grain… or get all crazy and mix and match.
*I’ve subbed in chives for the scallions and it’s equally delicious.
*can’t find halloumi? How sad. Just use mozzarella instead… but don’t grill it!
This recipe is slightly adapted from Bon Appetit