Cool down with hot chocolate… frozen hot chocolate, that is! This thick and creamy Frozen Mexican Hot Chocolate is spiked with cinnamon and cayenne pepper for an ultimate summer drink!
- 3 ounces dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons hot chocolate mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, plus more for garnish
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 to 3 cups ice
- 1 cup heavy cream, cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely chop dark chocolate into uniform pieces. Place chocolate in a medium mixing bowl and melt at 30 second intervals in the microwave on half power, stirring between each. Alternatively, melt chocolate in a double boiler over low heat on the stovetop, stirring frequently. Once chocolate is melted, stir in sugar, hot chocolate mix, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Add in 1/2 cup of milk and stir until chocolate mixture is fully incorporated.
- Pour into blender along with rest of milk and 2 cups of ice. Blend until well combined. If a thicker consistency is desired, blend with one more cup of ice. Divide between 2 glasses and top with whipped cream. Sprinkle with cinnamon and cayenne pepper for garnish, if desired.
- To make whipped cream: Using an electric mixer, beat cold heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form. For a thicker whipped cream, keep beating until firmer peaks form.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes