- 1 and 3/4 cups masa harina
- Very warm water
- Combine masa harina with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons very warm water with your hand until it just comes together to form a dough. Cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
- If dough is stiff (and most likely it will be), knead in 1/2 tablespoon of very warm water at a time, until the dough feels like a soft cookie dough (but not sticky).
- Preheat a heavy dry skillet, such as a cast iron skillet, over medium/medium-high heat.
- Working one at a time, pinch off dough into approximate ping pong sized balls. Roll out each ball of dough to approximately 1/8″ using a tortilla press lined with plastic wrap (or a rolling pin if needed). Carefully transfer tortilla to the hot skillet and let cook for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for 30 more seconds. Repeat with remaining dough.
- You may have to adjust heat of skillet as you go. The goal is to hear a faint sizzle as the tortilla hits the pan.
- Keep finished tortillas stacked on top of one another wrapped in a kitchen towel and serve immediately. Alternatively, let cool and refrigerate. Reheat corn tortillas wrapped in a slightly damp kitchen towel on 50% power in microwave until completely warmed through.