- 1 (28 ounce) pacakage tater tots or mini tater tots
- 8 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 (15 ounce) can black or pinto beans (or a mix of both), drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup queso (recipe below)
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Sour cream
for the Queso
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Bake tater tots according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon over medium/medium-low heat until crisp. Transfer bacon to a paper-towel lined plate to drain. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of bacon grease from pan. Add red onion and cook over medium heat until softened and a translucent, about 4 minutes, stirring occasional. Add garlic and chili powder and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Stir in beans and tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer tater tots to serving dish and top with bean mixture, queso, bacon, scallions, cilantro, and a generous spoonful of sour cream. Devour immediately.
for the Queso
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Add flour and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes. You want to cook away the raw flour taste, but not let it get too brown.
- Add whole milk and stir until the roux (butter-flour mixture) has been completely incorporated. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the milk has thickened slightly (it will probably beging bubbling a bit) and it coats the back of a spoon. Remove pan from heat, add cheeses and season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, and stir until fully melted.
- Cook Time: 30 mins