- 2 medium eggplants, cut into thick rounds
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Half of lemon, juiced
- Sprinkle eggplant slices generously with Kosher salt. Let stand for 30 minutes and then blot with paper towel to remove moisture on surface.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and pour in about 2-3 tablespoons of oil. Working in batches as necessary, cook eggplant slices in a single layer until almost black on each side, about 3-5 minutes per side. Add more oil as needed. Remove cooked eggplant to a plate.
- Once eggplant is all cooked, lower heat to medium and add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add red pepper, onion, coriander, and paprika to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add eggplant and vinegar to skillet, breaking eggplant and mashing it coarsely with a wooden spoon until well combined. Cook until vinegar has evaporated, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley and lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature over hummus with pita*. Can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and reheated as needed.
*for restaurant quality pita, preheat oven to 350°F. Meanhwile, brush pita lightly with olive oil and sprinkle dried oregano and Kosher salt on top. Place directly on oven racks for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through and slightly toasted.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-40 minutes