This quick and easy Lemon Vanilla Baked Alaska is an elegant, impressive dessert that takes half the time of a traditional full-sized Baked Alaska.
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 lemon, zested
- 4 1/2-inch slices pound cake
- 6 egg whites
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- Thaw ice cream until softened but not soupy.
- Stir in lemon zest and fully combine. Refreeze until hard.
- Using a round cookie cutter approximately the same diameter as your ice cream scoop, cut out rounds of pound cake and place on a small baking tray covered with parchment paper or wax paper.
- Scoop four perfect spheres of the lemon vanilla ice cream and place on top of each pound cake slice.
- Cover with plastic wrap and freeze until very firm.
- About 5 minutes before ready to serve, make the meringue. In a medium mixing bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in sugar in a slow, steady stream and continue to beat until well-combined and stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula or spoon, completely cover each ice cream-cake sphere with meringue. Use a fork to make peaks and ridges in the meringue.
- Using a kitchen torch, brûlée the meringue until golden brown. Alternatively, preheat your broiler on high and brûlée the mini baked alaskas in the oven. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 5 minutes