- 1 1/4 pounds strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 habanero, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 180°F.
- Combine strawberries, habanero, lemon juice, and sugar in a blender until smooth. Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to simmer over medium heat. Lower heat to medium-low to keep at a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is very thick, about 35-45 minutes. Just be careful because it may splatter as it thickens, which is normal.
- Transfer the mixture to large baking sheet covered with a silicone mat or nonstick foil. Spread into a thin, even layer. Make sure it’s an even layer.
- Bake in oven until firm and barely tacky, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. Cool completely before peeling off the silicone mat/nonstick foil. If it’s still moist on the underside, flip and bake until dry, about 10-20 minutes. Be careful not to overcook or else it will turn brittle. And that would be sad.
- Place the smooth side down on wax paper, and cut into strips using a sharp knife, kitchen shears, or a pizza wheel. Roll them up and store in a ziploc bag for up to 1 week.