for the Filling
- 4 cups rhubarb (4–5 stalks), cut into a 1/2″-1″ dice
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and large ones halved
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 orange, zested and juiced (try to get approximately 1/4 cup juice)
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
for the Topping
- 12 tablespoons (1 and 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 3/4 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, toss together the rhubarb, strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and orange zest. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the orange juice, and then mix into the fruit.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8×11″ baking dish and place on a parchment paper-line baking sheet (in case of spill over, this makes cleanup super easy).
- For the topping, you can either use cold butter with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or let the butter soften and then mix by hand. First, combine the flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar, and salt. If using cold butter, cut into chunks and with the mixer on low speed, add it to the dry ingredients and mix until it’s a moist, crumbly mixture. If by hand, combine topping ingredients until it’s a moist, crumbly mixture.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit and cover it completely. Bake for approximately 1 hour, until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm with generous scoops of high-quality vanilla ice cream.