A perfect fajita for busy weeknight dinners, this delicious recipe features no marinating and the fresh simple flavors of a garlic-lime glaze. Just don’t forget the guacamole 🙂
For the Chicken
- 2 to 4 – boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 – cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 to 6 – limes, juiced
- 1 to 2 tbl. canola or vegetable oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
For the Vegetables
- 1 – large red onion, sliced into approximate 1/8” – 1/4” inch slices
- 2 – red bell peppers, sliced into bite-size pieces
- 1 tbl. canola or vegetable oil
- Kosher Salt
- Flour Tortillas (figure on 2-3 per person)
- Sharp Cheddar or Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded
- Sour Cream
- In a dutch oven (or skillet), heat approximately 1-2 tbl. of oil over medium heat. Season the chicken breasts liberally/generously with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. When the oil is hot, carefully place in the chicken. The oil should crackle quite a bit on first contact with the chicken. Let the chicken cook until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Using tongs flip the chicken (If the chicken does not release from the pan, it’s not ready yet and needs a little more time). Cook on the other side until done, about 5-7 minutes (but depends on the thickness of your chicken). Remove from pot and let the chicken rest for a couple of minutes, then cut into 1/4-inch strips. Hopefully it is completely cooked through. If not, that’s okay… you can cook it some more in the next step if needed.
- To the pot where the chicken was cooked, add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly and avoid burning, about 1 minute. Add the juice of 4-6 limes (tip: roll the lime back and forth on the counter with your hand using medium pressure. This will help it release more of its juices). Let the juice cook briefly and stir constantly until it starts to reduce to a syrupy glaze. Briefly add chicken back to pot and stir just so the glaze coats the chicken. If the chicken needs any more cook time, now’s the time to get it cooked. Since it is sliced at this point, any additional cooking will be brief (1-2 minutes).
- Meanwhile, while chicken is cooking, heat approximately 1 tbl. of oil in another fry pan/skillet over medium/medium-low heat. Once hot, add the peppers and onions, season with salt and stir occasionally. Cook until they are slightly golden but still have a little crunch to them, about 5-7 minutes.
- Serving Size: About 4