PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands who support Shared Appetite!
This Southwest Chicken Stromboli comes together in under 30 minutes, making it a perfect quick and easy weeknight dinner option!
Cooking with cheese around Asheley? It’s difficult. She’s always been obsessed with eating the stuff. But now that she’s expecting… yea, the struggle is real people.
If there is cheese sitting on the counter for more than 2.394 seconds, it’s in her mouth and not in my recipe. And I mean, I can blame her. Cheese is freaking delicious, especially this Castello Jalapeno Havarti.
My only hope? Making (and then devouring) this Southwest Chicken Stromboli at 8am on a weekend, while Asheley is still sound asleep. The only thing she likes more than cheese (and avocado, cookies, and potato chips at the moment) is sleep. She loves, loves, sleep.
Let me tell you, there are few things more peaceful then whipping up some delicious grub at 8am while the wife is sleeping! Yes, I ate this for breakfast. No, I’m not ashamed. It was delicious, and I enjoyed every moment.
And yes, Asheley did make up for lost time when she woke up by eating some of this creative stromboli for lunch, as well as a healthy dose of
some all of the extra shredded cheese I had leftover.
So lets talk cheese. This Castello Jalapeno Havarti cheese is creamy and has awesome meltability. And yea, the kick of heat is totally up my alley. What can I say, I’m a sucker for anything Southwest/Tex-Mex/Mexican.
Castello also make a few other Havarti flavors you should totally check out, like Dill, Wild Garlic, Caraway, and Herbs & Spices. Oh, and there’s an Aged Havarti as well, which you may remember I used in those little addictive Havarti, Pear, and Walnut Puff Pastry Bites.
Southwest Chicken Stromboli
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: Serves 4
- 1 store-bough pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cups shredded or chopped cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapenos
- 1 cup shredded Jalapeno Havarti Cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and red onion, season generously with salt, and cook about 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften but still have a little crunch. Add chicken, frozen corn, black beans, chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin. Stir to combine and cook until everything is warmed through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Roll out pizza dough pretty thin into a large rectangle-like shape and lay flat on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Scoop filling in a line down the middle of the pizza dough (leaving a little blank gap at either end) and top with pickled jalapenos and shredded cheese. Feel free to use more cheese if desired. Just like if you were making a burrito, bring the sides of the pizza dough togehter in the middle, overlapping to create a seal. Pince either end and season top of dough with Kosher salt.
- Cook in oven until crust is cooked through and golden brown, aboug 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool slightly, cut into slices and serve with sliced avocado, salsa, and sour cream.
Grab a rotisserie chicken at your grocery store to make things extra easy. Feel free to use any cheese that you think will taste great with these southwest flavors.
PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.