A healthy and creative slow cooker recipe for Thai Coconut Chicken stew featuring bok choy, sweet potato, grape tomatoes, and quinoa.
There is definitely no shortage of crappy slow cooker recipes out there. I know. I said it. But it’s true. Case in point, I tried making a veggie lasagna in the slow cooker. It sounded like it was going to be great. I guess I should have known. It was beyond terrible. Asheley wouldn’t even eat it, and she loathes wasting food.
I totally made up for that #recipefail with this Thai Chicken and Coconut Quinoa Stew. The wife was happy. Chris was happy. Life is good.
And I felt pretty good about jumping on the quinoa train. All my food blogging friends have been using it like crazy and I was feeling super left out. It took me back to my elementary recess days when I was the last kid picked for kickball.
Just kidding. I was freaking awesome at kickball. Us pudgy kids had some serious kicking power.
So good news… this Thai slow cooker recipe is pretty darn healthy, which definitely helps with my Operation Stop Being A Fatty. So far I’m down 20 pounds by the way. 20 more and I’m there.
I’ve actually kinda took a break the last few weeks, but it’s time to get back on track with my diet. Ugh.
A couple notes:
- make sure to use canned coconut milk and not the stuff in the carton. It’s just not the same.
- if you’re not feeling the whole bok choy thing, get your green on with spinach, kale, or chard instead.
- have some frozen green stuff in the freezer? Use that. We’re flexible. Just add it when you add the tomatoes.
Thai Chicken Coconut Stew
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 2 (14-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon Asian fish sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large (or 2 small) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2” dice
- 2 heads bok choy, roughly chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 lime
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Cooked quinoa
- In a slow cooker, combine coconut milk, ginger, green curry paste, and fish sauce. Add chicken thighs, onions, sweet potatoes, and bok choy, and stir to coat. Cover and cook on low for 3 1/2 hours, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from slow cooker and roughly shred. Return chicken to slow cooker, add in grape tomatoes, stir, and cook an additional 30-60 minutes.
- Skim fat from surface of sauce in slow cooker and then stir in lime juice. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Divide quinoa among 6 bowls. Pour stew over quinoa and garnish with cilantro and lime wedge. Serve immediately.