This Summer Vegetable Pasta with Arugula Pesto is brought to you in partnership with Alessi Pasta. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite!
Ahhhh, you have no idea what an amazing feeling it is that everyday is “Friday” for me for the next two months. The alarm clock has been turned off. My wardrobe currently consists of only t-shirts and mesh shorts. The most stressful decision I have to make on a daily basis is what flavor ice cream to have. And most importantly, I get to spend the next 10 weeks with my sweet little girl. Life is GREAT.
You know what else I love about summer? All the amazing produce. Here in NY we spend all winter waiting… and waiting… for the weather to warm up so we can get a taste of summer’s bounty. And now it’s here. I’m talking amazing asparagus, zucchini, squash, corn, lettuces… the farm stands are filled to the brim with options!
So here’s the deal. No one likes turning on their oven over the summer, but I still love to to get my fill of pasta during these warmer months. There’s nothing more satisfying than that perfect bite of pasta, am I right? That’s why this Summer Vegetable Pasta with Arugula Pesto is so perfect. It takes advantage of fresh, local produce and keeps things light (you know, so you don’t have to wait those 30 minutes before getting back into the pool).
I know you’re not new to pesto. It’s my favorite way to use up all the basil I have growing away in my yard. But did you know that you can get all crazy and make pesto with pretty much anything? That’s right basil. You’ve been replaced. This arugula pesto is such a nice variation on the classic, and gives the pasta a beautifully fresh peppery bite. If you don’t have pine nuts (or just don’t want to buy them because they are kind of stupid expensive), try this arugula pesto with walnuts instead. You won’t be disappointed, I promise.
When ready to devour this Summer Vegetable Pasta with Arugula Pesto, feel free to serve it hot or at room temperature. I actually prefer it not piping hot, since I’m usually in a constant overheated state anyway throughout the summer.
Let’s talk Alessi Pasta. It’s super high quality, made with wheat grown in the heart of Italy and using a centuries old practice of pressing the pasta dough through bronze dies. This helps the pasta have a more porous texture, allowing it maximum opportunity to absorb up sauces. I loved this Alessi Organic Spaghetti. It cooked up a beautiful golden color and had that perfect quintessential toothsome texture that all pasta should have.
- 1 bag Alessi Organic Spaghetti
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- 1 summer squash, sliced into rounds
- 1 zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 ears corn
- Arugula Pesto (recipe below)
- Parmesan Cheese, grated, for serving
for the Arugula Pesto
- 2 packed cups arugula
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Preheat grill over medium high heat. Grill corn for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Meanwhile, brush sliced squash, zucchini, and asparagus with oil and season generously with Kosher salt. Grill vegetables for approximately 5 minutes, turning once, until just cooked through. Remove all vegetables from grill and allow to cool slightly. Slice asparagus into pieces. Remove husk and silk from corn and slice kernels off the cob.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot and drain. Add pasta back into the pot and add grilled vegetables and arugula pesto. Toss to coat. Divide pasta between four bowls and top generously with grated parmesan cheese.
for the Arugula Pesto
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and combine thoroughly. Season with Kosher salt.
My favorite parmesan cheese, by far, is parmigiano reggiano. It’s worth the price and really helps make this dish special.
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 5-10 Minutes
Summer Vegetable Pasta with Arugula Pesto