This recipe for Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach was created in partnership with Barilla® Pasta. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite!
I’m blessed… like incredibly, ridiculously, unbelievably blessed. And it’s pretty easy to take it all for granted. I’m so quick to get caught up in the next new thing, and forget to be thankful for all that we have.
Yesterday, I woke up to a kitchen full of food. Today, the same thing. And you know what… tomorrow too. My pantry, my fridge, my freezer… they are all busting at the seams.
Sadly, many of my neighbors across New York can’t say the same thing. This isn’t the first time we’ve had this conversation. We talked about food insecurity (and mind-blowingly amazing carnitas) once before. And you know what? It’s an important talk to have.
Hunger isn’t just a third world problem. It’s happening right here. In our own backyards. Our own neighbors. And it is so easy to help.
So today I’m going to share with you one really easy way you can help… along with showing you how to make this epic Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach.
One in five New Yorkers is food insecure. Despite their best efforts, putting food on the table for their family is a daily struggle. One we, including myself, frequently take for granted.
The meal gap for New York City is nearly 242 million. That means that our neighbors who are struggling to keep food in their homes fall short of an adequate diet by 242 million meals every year.
September is officially Hunger Action Month. And right here in NY, Barilla® Pasta is teaming up in a big way to help the Food Bank For New York City.
Sponsoring their 11th annual month-long Go Orange to End Hunger™ campaign, Barilla® Pasta is rallying everyone across the five boroughs to “Go Orange with Barilla.”
Get this. They are going to make a total donation of 500,000 meals to the Food Bank For New York City, and are hoping to raise awareness and inspire all of us to join the fight.
Volunteer. Donate. Advocate.
We all can do something.
Here’s two ways you can help:
Volunteer + Donate at one of the several truck stops throughout the city this week (see the bottom of this post for dates and locations).
Have a busy week? I get it. But you definitely have time for this: post on social media with the hashtag #GoOrangeWithBarilla.
Seriously. That’s it. Twitter. Facebook. Instagram. Use your social influence for good. Just use the #GoOrangeWithBarilla and you’re making a difference right here in New York!
For every person who donates on the spot, signs up to volunteer or advocates on social using the hashtag, Barilla will donate an ADDITIONAL serving of pasta, up to one ton!
How much time do you spend on Facebook a day? On Instagram? Heck, I’ve checked both like 14 times since sitting down to write this post.
That’s it. Something so easy for us, and yet it can make a profound impact for someone right next door.
When it comes to feeding your entire family without breaking the bank, I’m always happy to look in the pantry for some pasta. It’s inexpensive, delicious, and super easy to make! And when combined with lots of flavorful veggies, I know my family is getting a ton of nutrients that does a body good.
This Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach. It’s an amazing welcome into cooler temperatures. It’s not quite fall yet, but it’s definitely coming. And one thing that gets me excited about fall is all the squash (okay, and apple cider and apple pie).
This butternut squash sauce is super creamy and velvety, without any cream or milk. The chorizo adds a huge punch of flavor (feel free to substitute in any sausage or ground beef if you have that on hand). And you know we all can benefit from some extra green in our diet. Spinach, Swish chard, and kale all work amazing here. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand (even frozen spinach will work!).
It’s my hope, along with everyone over at Barilla® Pasta, that we all can enjoy food together around the dinner table. Let’s make it happen, friends. Make this Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach for your family. Spread the love with #GoOrangeWithBarilla.
recipe adapted from Pinch of YumPrint
Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 to 8 Servings 1x
- 1 (16 ounce) box Barilla Thick Spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium butternut squash, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cups tomato sauce
- 3 to 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound cooked ground chorizo, sausage, or beef
- 1 bunch sauteed spinach, Swiss chard, or kale
- Parmigiano Reggiano, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with Kosher salt. Spread in a single layer on an aluminum foil lined baking tray and roast in oven for 25 minutes, until fork tender. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, season with Kosher salt, and cook for approximately 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add tomato sauce, 3 cups chicken broth, sage leaves, and roasted butternut squash. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Using an immersion blender (or carefully transferring mixture to a blender), puree mixture until it is a smooth sauce consistency. Add remaining 1 cup of broth if sauce is too thick. Add cooked chorizo and sauteed spinach and let sauce simmer 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package directions. Add spaghetti to sauce and toss to coat. Top with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano and serve.
Butternut Squash Spaghetti with Chorizo and Spinach
Food Donation and Volunteer Option Dates
Manhattan – Monday, Sept 12th – West 23rd Street (between 5th + 6th Ave)
Brooklyn – Tuesday, Sept 13th – Borough Hall
Queens – Wednesday, Sept 14th – Forest Hills (71 st Ave and Austin St)
The Bronx – Thursday, Sept 15th – West Kingsbridge between Jerome Ave. and Davidson, in front of the armory
Staten Island /Manhattan Friday, Sept 15th Staten Island Ferry Whitehall (Water St + Pearl St)
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Barilla. The opinions and text are all mine.