An easy entertaining breakfast or brunchrecipe for Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Casserole. Assemble the night before and just bake the next morning!
I’m not what you would call a manly man. It’s okay, no need for sympathetic comments below to make me feel better. I’m proud and content with my ownership of just an IKEA tool set. It get the job done… most of the time.
Who am I kidding. I need to rely on my awesome friends for a heck of a lot when it comes to house projects. This past weekend my man Tommy, who also happens to be an electrician, came over to help us out big time. We installed (he installed, I pathetically tried to help) high hat lights in our master bedroom and our music studio/office.
You have no idea how unbelievably hot and gross it is to crawl around an attic. Holy crap if that’s what hot yoga is like, I’m out. I have a way new appreciation for you electricians out there.
And we are SO happy to finally have some lights upstairs. Before this, there was nothing except a hall light and the bathroom lights. But then Tommy said, let there be light. And there was light. And it was good.
You know what I made right before Tommy came over? This Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Casserole. Tommy works best on a fully stomach 😉
And so folks, here we go. My 2nd ever pumpkin recipe.
Youz guyz seems to like my Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts, so I figured aw heck, let’s try another pumpkin breakfast on for size. Especially since I bought one of those big ole cans of pumpkin puree and I didn’t want it to go to waste.
So let’s talk about this pumpkin cheesecake breakfast goodness.
You’ve got 2 layers of pumpkin french toast with sweetened cream cheese slam packed in the middle. A little brown sugar pumpkin-spiced struesel on top.
And then, just because we’re worth it come breakfast time, a litle maple pumpkin spice glaze.
This is not your average weekday type of breakfast. It’s a treat yourself with something special weekend type of goodness. And it really perfect for easy entertaining. Assemble everything the night before, then just pop it in the oven to bake up the next morning. Boom.
Did you catch all that goodness? That’s like a movie starring ScarlettJohansson, Mila Kunis, Kaley Cuoco, and Kate Upton.
Oh sorry, for all you ladies… a movie starring Bradley Cooper, George Clooney, Channing Tatum, Ryan Renyolds, and Ryan Gosling… with a sountrack by Adam Levine.
Pumpkin Cheesecake French Toast Casserole
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8
- 6 to 7 cups (approximately) 1″ bread cubes (any crusty bread will do)
- 7 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- Large pinch Kosher salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
for the Streusel Topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Pinch Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces
for the Maple Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 to 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Grease a 9 x 13 oven-safe pan. Spread half of bread along bottom of the pan in an even layer.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, pumpkin puree, and a large pinch of Kosher salt. Pour half of pumpkin mixture evenly over the bread, pushing on bread with a spoon or your fingers until all bread is softened by liquid mixture.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the powdered sugar and cream cheese. Spread an even layer of cream cheese on top of the liquid-soaked bread. It may be easiest to drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese scattered on top of the bread and then lightly using a spoon or knife to spread it out.
- Top with the remaining bread, and then the remaining pumpkin mixture. Use a back of the spoon or your hands to lightly push down on the bread so all the bread absorbs the pumpkin mixture and soften. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove from refrigerator and preheat oven to 350°F. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle with the streusel topping. Bake, uncovered, for 45-55 minutes, until the top is golden brown and no longer wet. It should bounce back when pressed.
- Serve with Maple Pumpkin Spice Glaze. Devour immediately.
for the Streusel Topping
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add butter pieces and cut into the dry mixture using a fork or your hands. Combine until the mixture resembles sand with a few pea sized chunks. If too wet, add a bit more flour until it gets to a crumby consistently.
for the Maple Pumpkin Spiced Glaze
- In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar, maple syrup, 1/2 tablespoon of milk, and pumpkin pie spice. Add other 1/2 tablespoon of milk if needed to reach glaze consistency.
You can also make individual servings in ramekins (like in the photos above). It should make about 6 to 8 individual casseroles depending upon the size of your ramekinds. Follow the same process as above, baking for approximately 30 minutes.
Want more pumpkin? Check out my Baked Pumpkin Pie Donuts with 2 topping choices!