A hearty and healthy gluten-free, vegetarian, and vegan friendly recipe for Thai Peanut Red Curry Spaghetti Squash.
The spaghetti squash craze is back in full force. #sorrynotsorry
And I’m pairing it up with my other latest obession. Thai food. Guys, I love love love love love Thai food.
My go to order? Pineapple Fried Rice to split for an app. Thai Iced Tea. Chicken Pad See Ew (make it spicy). Side of coconut rice. And once in a while… Sticky Sweet Rice with Thai Custard to split for dessert. Dinner of champions right there. #legit
And yes, there is ususally some leftovers. I’m a fatty, but even I have my limits when it comes to eating capacity.
Did I mention our new home is within 1 mile of this kick butt Thai place? It’s just a coincidence, I promise. I didn’t specifically pick this house because of it’s proximity… or did I? Shhhh, don’t tell Asheley.
Peanut sauce. Great.
Peanut sauce + curry = 🙂 🙂 🙂
If it were socially acceptable to drink the stuff and slap a smoothie label on it, I probably would. Oh please… don’t judge me. You know you would too.
Since I obviously can’t get take-out Thai food every night (or can I?), cooking up a healthy faux version at home is where it’s at…
And with the exception of roasting the spaghetti squash, this meal comes together in under 30 minutes. Boom.
Roasting a spaghetti squash isn’t a ton of work anyway. You literally throw it in the oven and walk away for awhile. Go help your kids with homework.
Do that exercise DVD Eat some leftover Halloween candy. Put on the TV and catch that Law + Order SVU re-run for the 27th time.
Or hey, you could always roast the squash over the weekend, fridge it, and then heat it up right before serving.
One tiny thing… I know some vegetarians are totally fine with fish sauce. If so, rock on. But for my vegetarians out there who can’t eat fish sauce and for all the vegans out there, you can swap out the fish sauce for a homemade version or just find a good substitute (google is telling me that Golden Mountain Sauce or just a bit of soy sauce can both serve as adequate subs).
Red Thai Curry Sauce slightly adapted from Pinch of YumPrint
Vegetarian Thai Peanut Red Curry Spaghetti Squash
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pineapple, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 carrots, shaved into thin strips with vegetable peeler
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 large shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 small bunch spinach leaves (stems removed)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
for the Thai Peanut Red Curry Sauce
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce*
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup finely crushed peanuts (in food processor)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Carefully cut your spaghetti squash in half with a large, sharp knife. Remove seeds and stringy guts, and brush the cut sides of the squash with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season generously with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place spaghetti squash, cut side down, on an aluminum-lined baking sheet and roast until tender, about 45-60 minutes.
- To test if your squash is done, scrap the flesh with a fork. If the strands come off easily, it’s done. Let the cooked spaghetti squash cool for about 5 minutes, then scrape all the flesh into a beautiful pile of spaghetti strands. Taste and season with some more Kosher salt and pepper if needed.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Cook pineapple, carrots, red bell pepper, and shallots for about 3-4 minutes, until softened but still with some crunch. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Add spinach and desired amount of Thai Peanut Red Curry Sauce and cook for 1 additional minute, or until spinach is wilted.
- Divide spaghetti squash among 4 bowls. Top with vegetable curry and garnish with scallions and chopped peanuts.
for the Thai Peanut Red Curry Sauce
- Bring coconut milk to a simmer over medium-high heat in a small saucepan. Add peanut butter, curry paste, fish sauce, pineapple juice, lime juice, brown sugar, and garlic. Whisk frequently and cook until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Add peanuts and simmer for about 5-10 minutes, until sauce reaches desired consistency. If it gets too thick, add a small amount of water and whisk.
*I know some vegetarians are totally fine with fish sauce. If so, rock on. But for my vegetarians out there who can’t eat fish sauce and for all the vegans out there, you can swap out the fish sauce for a homemade version or just find a good substitute (google is telling me that Golden Mountain Sauce or just a bit of soy sauce can both serve as adequate subs).
Can’t get enough Spaghetti Squash?
Yea, me either…