These Grilled Flank Steak Shawarma Bowls are brought to you by Wild Garden. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite!
Whenever someone asks me what my favorite food or favorite cuisine is, my answer is always the same. I don't have one. For me, it's all about variety. Living here in NY, it's pretty amazing that we literally have food from every corner of the earth available at our fingertips every night of the week. That's positively mind-blowing. And I love it.
Most people aren't satisfied with my variety answer though, so I always would then say that if I had to choose... I would tend to lean towards Mexican and Southwest flavors. That shouldn't really come as a surprise, considering the vast majority of the recipes here on Shared Appetite include those flavor profiles.
But here's the thing. Currently I have to admit... the tides are turning. My answer is still variety of course, but lately I've been drawn big time to the flavors of the Middle East and Mediterranean. Kinda obsessed, actually.
With the few surprisingly warm days we've enjoyed scattered in over the last couple of weeks, I happily dusted off my grill to satisfy my craving and make these Grilled Flank Steak Shawarma Bowls. They have so much flavor... and even better, they are super quick and easy! I think I'm in love.
Aren't these Grilled Flank Steak Shawarma Bowls seriously stunning? But it's not just your eyes that are going to be smiling. Let's break down this flavor bomb:
- Hummus - get the best quality store bought hummus you can find. It adds a thick, silky texture that binds everything in this bowl together
- Israeli Salad - I have been whipping up this quick salad nonstop lately, and I don't even like cucumbers! The bright lemony-tomato-cucumber salad adds a ton of fresh flavor to everything it touches
- Arugula - because I'm told eating greens is good for you... and the peppery bite is a great complement to steak
- Feta - hello, duh... cheese
- Shawarma White Sauce - if you've never experienced the magic of "white sauce", it's addicting. Naan and white sauce is my equivalent to tortilla chips and queso. Yup
- Naan - life is better with bread. If you're working with a gluten free diet, I'll happily eat your serving of naan and then these Grilled Flank Steak Shawarma Bowls are indeed gluten free. If you can't find naan, good quality pita also works here. I love just tearing up the naan and using it to scoop into this bowl. Insider tip... Trader Joe's has a great naan in the frozen food aisle.
- The Steak and Rice - see below for all the deets!
Let's get started with the steak. Flank steak is a pretty great cut because it's relatively inexpensive and easily feeds a crowd. Growing up, whenever we had steak night dinner, it was flank steak. One $10 flank steak would feed all four of us, and we still had leftovers. Although a tough cut of meat, it's super flavorful and when sliced thin against the grain, it's perfectly tender.
With the help of Wild Garden Shawarma Quick Marinade, this flank steak was full of authentic shawarma flavor... you'll taste cardamom, cumin, and lots of herbs! What's really cool is that the marinade is designed for quick and easy meals, so you don't have to marinate the meat for a long time. Although I still enjoyed marinating the flank steak for around 4 to 6 hours to let the flavors really penetrate, you can get away with a lot less if pressed for time.
I have to admit. I thought that the Wild Garden Rice & Lentil Heat and Serve Pilaf was going to be less than stellar. Because let's be honest, how many times are heat and serve products kind of a let down? Yeah, exactly. But I was so wrong!
Guys, the Wild Garden Rice & Lentil Heat and Serve Pilaf is so legit. Basmati rice. Tender lentils. Caramelized onions. Ermagherd I am ridiculously impressed with the flavor in this pilaf. It was something I'm going to be craving again and again in the upcoming weeks, because it was really that good.
Even better, this savory Mediterranean pilaf only takes 90 seconds in the microwave. 90 seconds! It doesn't get any more quick and easy than that.
This Wild Garden Rice & Lentil Heat and Serve Pilaf is the perfect base for these Grilled Flank Steak Shawarma Bowls... and I'm already thinking it would be a great side dish to whenever I make souvlaki.
Have you seen Wild Garden's full line of products at your local grocery store? Along with their Wild Garden Taste of the Mediterranean Marinades and Pilafs, they also have a bunch of different hummus dips! You can shop all of Wild Garden's products at their Amazon store (and who doesn't freaking love Amazon?).
Beyond the Shawarma marinade and Rice & Lentil Pilaf, Wild Garden also has a bunch of other great Mediterranean marinades and pilafs that will help inspire you to create quick and easy meals throughout the week. I'm so looking forward to trying their Turkish marinade and Persian marinade, and the Heat & Serve Couscous and Bulgur are totally calling my name!
Make sure to look at Wild Garden's full lineup of products and a whole lot of recipes on their website! And while you are there, check out their store locator so you can pick up these super easy meal starters!Print