We are officially in house limbo.
Our first house is sold and we’re all moved out. Side note: you don’t truly realize how much stuff you have until you try moving it. Jeez. And our new house, which we are super-ridiculously-beyond-excited to soon call our home, won’t be ready to close for another month or so. Thankfully my parents have welcomed us with open arms. And extra thankfully their house is literally 5 minutes from the school where I work. #win
Have I mentioned that the new house has a pool?! And have I also mentioned that I’m not even close to being in pool-ready shape? At least my current extra-round body type will be highly buoyant. Glass half full, people.
But it’s time to start eating better. Making better choices. And with most of my kitchen gear stored away, it’s time to get creative come dinner time. MorningStar Farms to the rescue. They make it beyond easy to eat smart and go meatless.
I’m not sure if you’ve checked out your grocery freezer aisle lately, but MorningStar Farms is tearing the place up. They’ve got like 30+ products at this point, and are always constantly creating and introducing new flavors. Meet the newest members of the MorningStar Farms family:
- Roasted Garlic and Quinoa Burger
- Buffalo Chik Patties
- Parmesan Garlic Wings
- Mediterranean Chickpea Pizza
- Baja Black Bean Pizza
But my personal favorite way to get my MorningStar Farms eating on? Veggie burgers. All 12 are a great source of protein and can go straight from freezer to grill. And Asheley is totally obsessed with these Spicy Black Bean ones.
Spring is like the one time of year I feel it’s perfectly acceptable to have a salad for dinner. Not just an appetizer. Full on main course action.
So I loaded up. Sautéed peppers, onions, and summer squash. Pickled jalapenos. Healthy avocado Greek yogurt dressing. And the crown jewel? That spicy black bean burger topped with a fried egg.
That’s how we do salads in our house. Well, my parents’ house.
- 4 MorningStar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burgers
- 4 slices pepperjack cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 summer squash, diced
- Pinch chili powder
- 4 eggs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head of lettuce (any variety will do), rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- Pickled jalapenos
- 1 avocado, diced
- Avocado Greek Yogurt Dressing
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lime
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Grill Spicy Black Bean Burgers over medium-high heat until heated through, flipping once half way through process. During last 1 minute of cooking, top each burger with a slice of pepperjack cheese.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper, red onion, and summer squash. Season generously with Kosher salt and a pinch of chili powder, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until vegetables are softened but still have a little crunch to them.
- Spray a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat. Once hot (adding a droplet of water to the pan should make it sizzle), crack open eggs and add them, one at a time, into the skillet. Season with salt and pepper and cover with a lid. This will help the tops of the whites to set before overcooking the bottom of the eggs. The eggs are done cooking once the whites are just set (the yolk will still be runny).
- Divide lettuce among 4 bowls. Top with spicy black bean cheeseburger, sautéed vegetable mixture, pickled jalapenos, cherry tomatoes, diced avocado, fried egg, and drizzle with avocado Greek yogurt dressing. Serve immediately.
- In a food processor, purée the avocado, Greek yogurt, juice from ½ of the lime, and garlic. Drizzle in olive oil and fully combine. Season with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add the juice from the other ½ lime if needed.
Need more recipe inspiration? MorningStar Farms has got you covered. Do you have a favorite MorningStar Farms product? Tell me below and you’ll be automatically entered into a random drawing for a $100 Visa gift card!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 6/5-6/30/2014.
Be sure to visit the MorningStar Farms brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!