This Southwest Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl with Kale and Avocado is healthy, gluten-free, vegetarian, and paleo-friendly!
All my food-loving friends out there can hopefully relate to this…
So, I have a lot of kitchen
toys gadgets necessities packed away in my cabinets. Some of the stuff I use regularly, but there are those few things that I tend to forget about because I don’t use them as often as say, my ice cream scoop. #thisiswhyimfat
I was doing some kitchen cabinet rearranging (for higher efficiency of course… my Type A brain is stupid sometimes) during my winter break from school a couple weeks back, and I totally came across my spiralizer. It was one of those moments of oh my gosh I forgot I even had this even though I knew I had it. Does that make sense? Please tell me I’m not alone here. #weirdo
And that, my friends, is how this Southwest Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl was born. I know, it’s a memorable story. You’re welcome.
I whipped out my spiralizer, saw a sweet potato on the counter, and immediately realized it was born for noodle greatness. A quick look in my fridge, freezer, and pantry…
- oooo, I still haven’t used that kale yet. Check.
- Hello red pepper in the freezer. You’ll be delicious. And corn! I love me some corn.
- Red onions and lime, I always have you on hand on the counter. Thank you very much for your reliability.
- Wow, there’s actually an avocado here in the fridge. Asheley must of missed it. That’s a rare opportunity that I must take advantage of.
And that’s what I love about cooking. You can totally whip up an epic meal just with what you have lying around… assuming you have fridge stocked with more than beer, ketchup packets, and that I wonder how long that has been in here sandwich. Yea, you know who you are.
Speaking of epic (you see that super smooth transition… man I’m good)… ooooo, and speaking of super smooth (see, told you)…
All my dudes out there. And all my ladies that want their dudes to have super smooth skin. Check out the Schick Hydro® all new Tumblr page and give them a follow. They are all about Your Face, Your Story… Make It Epic. They want to get you ready for your everyday epic experiences with a super smooth shave.Print
Southwest Sweet Potato Noodle Bowl
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 Large Bowls
- 1 sweet potato, peeled
- 1 bunch kale leaves, roughly torn
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of cumin
- Pinch of chili powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish if desired
- Using a spiralizer fitted with Blade C, spiralize sweet potato into noodles. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add sweet potato noodles, season generously with Kosher salt and pepper, and cover with lid. Cook, shaking pan occasionally and removing lid to stir once in a while, until noodles are “al dente”. They will have a slight crunch to them. If the noodles start to stick, add two tablespoons of water (repeat as necessary) and continue to cook until noodles reach desired doneness.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add kale and season generously with Kosher salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale leaves are a little wilted for a chewier texture, or if you prefer it more tender, cook for longer.
- Finally, in another medium skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper, season generously with Kosher salt and pepper and a pinch of cumin and chili powder, and cook 5-7 minutes, until vegetables soften but still have a little crunch. Add frozen corn and cook for 1 minute, until warmed through.
- Divide sweet potato noodles, kale, and vegetable medley among bowls. Top with chopped avocado, a lime wedge, and chopped cilantro if desired. Devour immediately.