A creative backyard bbq side dish that will awaken your taste buds and make you a legend among friends. This Sweet Potato Bacon Salad is sure to impress!
You might remember way back when Steve + I went on our top secret eating adventure while shopping for Valerie’s engagement ring. Well, guess what? Our really, really, really, really great friends Steve + Valerie are now MARRIED!
It was a most memorable July 4th filled with laughter, joy, and love. And rain. Lots of rain. But Steve + Val had a great attitude and didn’t let the drops damper their special day.
I was super honored to be a best man along with our other friend Dave, and to make it an extra interesting day, our company Ashe Photography Studio also photographed the wedding. If you want to see a sneak peak of some photos from their day and also view a cool slideshow I put together, check out our facebook page.
AND, today is Valerie’s birthday! #wootwoot. Happy Birthday Valerie!
::smooth segue into this sweet potato bacon salad::
Actually, there is a smooth segue thank you very much. Valerie absolutely adores this Sweet Potato Bacon Salad. Anytime she comes over throughout the summer, she
hopes expects demands that this salad be on the table.
And you know what? Valerie has good taste. I think you’ll really dig this creative potato salad also, because it’s filled with bacon flavor… even throughout the dressing, and it’s studded with the potato’s big flavored friend. The almighty sweet potato.
Big thanks to Asheley, my hand model. I think she has a future career in hand modeling, don’t you?
You know, if the whole saving lives and healing people as a PA thing doesn’t work out.
Hey. Guess what? You can now have your very own personal recipe box! To save this recipe, simply click save below the thumbnail image below? Once you start storing all your favorite recipes from around the interwebs in your Recipe Box, you can create Meal Plans and the ingredients will automatically be added to your Grocery List! Download the app to your phone and boom, welcome to the 21st century age of grocery shoppingPrint
Sweet Potato Bacon Salad
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 as a side dish
- 5 medium red-skinned potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 (16 ounce) package bacon, chopped into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 bunches scallions, chopped
- Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Chop the red-skinned potatoes and sweet potatoes into approximate 1″ pieces. Place in a large pot and cover with cold water by 2 inches. Season generously with Kosher salt. Bring water to a boil over high heat, and cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 10 minutes). Drain potatoes and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-low heat until crisp. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Reserve 3 tablespoons of bacon fat for the dressing.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, olive oil, mustard, vinegar, 3 tablespoons cooled bacon fat, onion powder, garlic powder, and pinch of cayenne pepper. Season to taste with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- When the potatoes are cool to the touch, gently toss them, along with the bacon and scallions, in the dressing mixture to coat. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- Store in refrigerator and allow flavors to meld a bit before serving.