These Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins were created in partnership with Butterball. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite!
The new school year is in full swing. I can’t believe summer is over. Well, okay I know… it’s still technically summer. But not for us teachers. Long gone are days without alarms, elastic shorts, and care free schedules. Now I have to get Olivia out the door by 7:30am so I can get her to the babysitter with enough time for me to get to work before the bell rings. Then it’s home, make her dinner, get some quick play time in, and the bed time routine. It’s… exhausting.
I don’t even get how people have more than one kid. Seriously, I don’t.
So let’s back up for a second. During the month of August, I worked pretty darn hard on eating better and exercising. I ran almost every single day (and I hate running), and I made excellent food decisions. Gosh, it’s so much harder to get workouts in and eat well now. But, that’s where meal planning comes in (and having a wife that’s super understanding and is supportive of me going for a run after work… thanks Asheley!). So here’s the plan each morning. Have something already made and ready to eat that’s nourishing and super flavorful.
The answer? These Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins!
Making breakfast is just so out of the question for us in the morning. Asheley is packing up Olivia’s food for the day at the sitter while I quickly answer emails and catch up on work (besides being a music teacher and running Shared Appetite, I also co-own a wedding photography studio… and it’s peak wedding season of course). So yeah, things are hectic.
A lot of days I just grab a yogurt and run, but that gets all sorts of boring after a while. Variety is the flavor of my life, and you know how much I’m obsessed with southwest cuisine. These Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins check all the boxes for me…
- make ahead in a large batch
- refrigerate/freeze and reheat as needed in the morning
- full of southwest flavor
- healthy and filling
Let’s break down just how easy these dairy-free Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins are to make:
- Whisk together some eggs with southwest spices (I’m looking at your chili powder and cumin).
- Get your fillings ready… I went with corn, black beans, chopped red bell pepper, scallions, and tomatoes. However, pretty much any fillings will work! Get creative and go with flavors that will rock your socks.
- Wrap some turkey bacon in each muffin tin and put your fillings inside.
- Top with the eggs and bake!
Seriously, they are that easy! It took me all of 10 minutes of prep on Sunday to whip these together and then I had breakfast for Asheley and I all week long. You can refrigerate or freeze them and just reheat each morning! THAT’S some meal planning I can totally get behind!
My go to turkey bacon is Butterball! It’s got a ton of great bacon-y flavor and is 65% less fat than traditional flavor! I usually always have a package of Butterball Turkey Bacon in the bacon and cook it up as needed. You won’t need the entire package for this recipe, so feel free to use the extra to make this Healthy California BLT with Lemon Aioli for lunch!
And if you’re one of those people that only think about turkey around Thanksgiving or when making one of those deli sandwiches, you’re totally missing out! It’s time to unleash your inner turketarian and enjoy turkey year round! I’m talking burger, lettuce wraps, soup, and more! Check out some of my recipe ideas at the bottom of this post for some inspiration, and also check out the Butterball recipe center!
When you’re ready to serve up and devour these Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Egg Muffins, I love topping it with some diced up avocado and jarred salsa. If you have guacamole, that’ll of course totally work as well!
And hey, let’s say you’re hosting a breakfast or brunch? There’s no need to stand at the stove cooking up eggs while everyone is waiting to eat. Pop these in the oven before people are over and they’ll be ready when you’re ready to eat! They are the perfect size for individual portions and are full of flavor!
Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 Muffins
- 12 slices Butterball Turkey Bacon
- 1/3 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/3 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small plum tomato, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 bunch scallions, chopped
- 6 eggs
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 avocado, chopped
- Salsa, for topping
- Cilantro, for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a muffin tin generously with nonstick cooking spray. Wrap one piece of turkey bacon around the perimeter of each muffin well.
- Mix together the corn, black beans, tomato, pepper, and scallions. Fill each muffin well with mix-ins about 2/3 of the way up.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Pour into a measuring cup for easy pouring and fill each muffin well almost to the top.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until eggs are just set. Let cool slightly, then remove from pan. If serving right away, top with avocado, salsa, and cilantro and devour. Alternatively, you can refrigerate or freeze once completely cool and reheat in the microwave.
Healthy Turkey Bacon Wrapped Southwest Egg Muffins
Need More Turkey Inspiration?