This recipe for Caramel Apple Crisp Pizookies was created in partnership with Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Eggs. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support Shared Appetite!
Not sweating my butt off all day? Awesome. Getting dark before 7pm? Not awesome.
Fire pits? Awesome. Having to wear pants? Not awesome.
Apple everything? Awesome. Pumpkin everything? Kill me.
So yea, I have mixed feelings about the first day of Fall. It’s so exciting in so many ways. I can’t wait for Olivia to experience trees changing color. Going apple picking. Her first hayride. And being actually aware of the costume she is wearing (although I’ll totally miss that hot dog costume we forced her to wear last year).
But it also is kind of a bummer. For a teacher, there’s nothing better than summer. And I’m so not a fan of the pumpkin craze. ESPECIALLY when people try to start it at the end of August when clearly I’m still stuffing my face with tomatoes, corn, and peaches. Obviously.
Me? I’m all about apple. Apple pie, apple crisp, apple cider, apple cider donuts… give me all of it! And now. One heck of a new apple fall dessert in my lineup. Hello fall… let’s celebrate with these epic Caramel Apple Crisp Pizookies.
What’s a pizookie, you ask? It’s what Chicago did to pizza. Deep dish, baby. And it’s pretty darn magical. Not only is it ooey, gooey, and everything you want a cookie to be, it’s way easier than having to drop individual cookie dough balls on baking trays in batches.
Spread the dough into a few small skillets or baking dishes and BOOM. Instant dessert win.
Have you had apple crisp before? It’s my favorite fall dessert. I actually like it better than apple pie and apple cobbler. I love that buttery oatmeal crisp topping. And here, the oatmeal deep dish cookie (i.e. pizookie) acts as that crisp topping. But it’s bigger. AND A COOKIE.
Yup, there is is. In all it’s beautiful oatmeal pizookie glory. It’s inspired and adapted from this awesome recipe. Let’s not stop there, though.
I top these stunning golden brown beauties with brown sugar roasted apples (mmm hmmmmm),
way too much the perfect amount of caramel sauce, and a pint scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This, my friends, is Fall dessert heaven.
Big enough to share. Good enough that you won’t want to.
We have to talk about the eggs I’ve been packing my fridge with lately. Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Eggs are a staple in my house. Beyond tasting great and being super high quality, they are also pasteurized! I know! Who knew that eggs could be pasteurized?! These guys figured it out using an all-natural patented process, and now we can all say peace out to any risk of Salmonella. 100% worry free… which is much appreciated for my Type A anxiousness about pretty much everything.
They are so safe, you can actually eat them straight up. Go ahead… eat some of this cookie dough raw. You’re all good, thanks to Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Eggs.
Make sure to look out for Davidson’s Safest Choice® Pasteurized Eggs at a grocery store near you. And if you can’t find ’em, just visit the SafeEggs.com store locator!
Caramel Apple Crisp Pizookies
- Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- Yield: Serves 6 to 8 1x
for the Pizookie
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Safest Choice™ pasteurized egg(s)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Apple Topping (see below)
- Caramel sauce, to taste
- Vanilla ice cream, to taste
for the Apple Topping
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
for the Pizookies
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and oats in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In another medium mixing bowl, cream together butterand sugars for 2 minutes. Mix in eggs and vanilla until fully incorporated. Slowly mix in flour mixture until just combined.
- Refrigerate cookie dough for 30 minutes, then spread dough 1/2-inch deep in four 4 (6-inch) ramekins, mini skillets, or other small baking pans. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for approximately 14 minutes, until tops are golden brown.
- Cool slightly, then top with apple topping, caramel sauce, and vanilla ice cream.
for the Apple Topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium oven-safe bowl or pan, combine apples, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through. Remove from oven, stir, and discard foil. Bake, uncovered, for 20 more minutes to allow glaze to thicken.
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
Caramel Apple Crisp Pizookies
Need More Fall Desserts?
Apple Pie Wontons with Salted Caramel Whipped Cream
No Bake Caramel Apple Cheesecake Trifle
Sweet Potato Cheesecake with Bourbon Whipped Cream
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Quesadillas
Pumpkin Cheesecake Quesadillas with Pecan Praline Topping
This is like Apple crisp taken to the next level! I’m team summer for sure and still stuffing my face with peaches and tomatoes. #sorrynotsorry